In addition to Schwangau, familiar to Ludwig from his childhood experiences, it was particularly Graswang Valley that he had come to know as Crown Prince from his many excursions from Hohenschwangau. His father, King Maximilian II, owned a hunting lodge there in “Linderhof”.
In the palace, completed in 1878, the only one that Ludwig II finished and lived in, the spirit of the rococo was revived. Behind the richly ornamented facade of the relatively small palace exuberance runs riot: glistening mirrors and glittering gold, wall hangings and paintings, velvet, plush and crystal chandeliers, lapis lazuli, malachite and porcelain.
The major sights of the artistically laid out landscape garden include the “King’s Little House”, the old King’s Lime Tree, on whose raised hide the king sometimes took his breakfast, the Moorish Kiosk with the Peacock Throne, the Moroccan House and the Hundings Hut. An ‘open-sesame rock’ leads to an artificial grotto with a waterfall and lake. The grotto was heated and illuminated by electricity. Waves could be produced on the lake. State-of-the-art technology to make royal dreams come true!